on serendipity-

On my first days of summer I wrote, "there's no telling how perfect a day will turn out upon waking up to it." There has been so much serendipity in my life as of late; the past year, not just being one of goodbye, but also one of adventure and spontaneity. It pains me to think that sometimes I fail to give my Lord gratitude and thanks for all that He has blessed me with; I am so unworthy of anything a part from being made righteous in Him. So i'd like to take this mediation to give my Abba Father in heaven and in my heart, thanks.  I thank you Daddy for the blessing of friends, friends from all different nations. I thank you for giving me an understanding that my light cannot shine where there is only light, rather I must go into the darkest of places in order for you to work through me. And so as a student of Politics, I spent this past week at the Charlotte Democratic National Convention, where I saw so much and learned even more. My mother raised me to be a collector of experiences as she would say to me, "Keiko, get out of your comfort zone regularly, and collect experiences." This week, we took the light rail into uptown and walked around each day doing just that. Praying over our city as God exposed just how far this nation has and is turning away from Him. On the last day, I went into the city alone and met up with a dear friend who graduated from my university last December. She asked me to go to a luncheon with her, so I did. It turned out to be much more as I had the opportunity to network and chat with congressmen and delegates. 

Sumera and I outside of the American Muslim Caucus of Democrats

I registered that morning, as a student we received free admittance to a $50 three course meal and the honor of hearing speakers such as ambassador of South Africa, Ebrahim Rasool, and Congressmen Keith Ellison just to name a few.

Later that evening we went to dinner in the Epicenter and happened to be there while Al Sharpton was speaking and that was just after Matthew Mcconaughey jogged past us. In case you're wondering, yes he is as attractive as he is on film. ;)

Seeing those big names and eating at a table with important public figures was pretty awesome and all, but my favoruite of all moments were those I spent with these four girls. It was serendipity at its core, as we didn't awake to the day in expectation of being together. No, but the day ended up exceeding any expectations we could have possibly held if we had known what lied before us.


And perhaps that's the lesson of this mediation? Expectation is a thief of experience. I held no expectations of my summer- of my year- and look how it concluded. Most magically. I should rather a few disappointments in life than to have none at all because I've failed to collect experiences. So as I embark on this new chapter of the story that is my life, I hold no expectations and no anxiety. In fact, the only thing I vow to hold onto is the reality of God's perfect will for my life and though I may not understand all of it, as I walk in obedience to His word, I silence my will and welcome Him to take the drivers seat.

So daddy, as when the last blue moon appeared in my backyard with a cross shining through it- it is my prayer that I live each day of my life now and abroad with the cross in mind. For it was there my life died so that yours can resurrect. And may you dwell in me ever so profoundly. 

Comments

Popular Posts