on a closing chapter, a new journey-

Today I leave Boone singing a new tune. One that has no chorus yet, but I am living well into a melody. It seems like yesterday I was moving into Hoey hall; four years ago my life would change in so many incredibly unpredictable ways. It was an unprecedented chapter, that first year in university... O how quickly we grow up. As I write, I think of all that happened in-between, all that led me to this moment right here; the ups, the downs, the tears, the laughs, and the nights I sat on top of a mountain in revel of the grandness of it all. The brilliance that gets to be my story, and a God who has loved me deeply back to Himself each moment I wandered. Like a prodigal daughter, He beckons me home each time. I am so unworthy of such perfect love.

These last months in Boone have been nothing short of magical. I began in a spirit of 'no new friends'; truthfully, it was a poorly reasoned shield to keep from falling in love with more people only to say goodbye so soon. Too soon. Of course that's no way to live and I knew that, I know that. I really do. How lucky I am to have met people who tore down said wall, giving me the best ending to the chapter in my life that was university. They reminded me of a truth I've known all along: live with palms faced upwards and a heart of abandon. We always wish we had more time; I am learning this will be a reoccurring theme in my life and I must use these moments to make me, not break me. How do you heal an open wound of goodbyes, with more goodbyes? Seems counterproductive...But O is it worth being a part of someone's story, even if only for a brief chapter, a page or two. I am so thankful.

Thankful for old and new friends.

Thankful for best friends, business partners, and prayer warriors.



Thankful for new friends who inspire you, who unknowingly teach you, who let you into their life.


Thankful for my time with internationals.


Thankful for my kindred spirit, my heart, my traveling companion.


Thankful for living in the Service & Leadership RLC in Hoey Hall.

Thankful for long days and late nights.


Thankful for laughter, and men who have the courage to be more than this world asks of them.

Thankful to Scotland for giving us this memory.

Thankful to Spain for reuniting me with friends I met while they were on exchange at my uni.

Thankful for the vision that was Tea Time and how I'll never forget these Thursday nights.

Thankful to be reminded in my last week in Boone that kindred spirits aren't as scarce as you'd think.

Thankful for that first tour of ASU and the words of my daddy, "This place has Keiko all over it!" I cannot tell you how right my papa was.

Thankful for friends who travel across the state/country to surprise you on your 22nd birthday.

Thankful for Paris for giving me my dream.

Thankful for ASU for giving me the opportunity to see the world.

 Thankful for snapshots of stolen moments and a life lived to the fullest.

 It was the best of times, my four years at Appalachian State. I am forever indebted to ASU for painting the canvas that is my life with so many bright and beautiful colors. I found myself here, and began to live a life I am so very proud of. Now I set off into a world that isn't quite ready for me; I can see all my dreams ahead, waiting for me to claim them, once again, as my reality. I see a love that could light a whole forest, and I see laughter that will cure even the most downcast of souls. I see journals full of more serendipitous memories. I see all of this and so much more. As I drive down the mountain one last time, I go in the direction of said dreams. I drive away in the direction of my life. I pray you dear reader do the same. I wish nothing but the best--may you know the sweet and precious love of a God who gives such good gifts to His children. I've tasted and I've seen, and there is no greater love.

Here's to all of life's happenings, may they continue to take our breath away...Cheers! 


 "I try to avoid looking forward or backward, and try to keep looking upward." -Charlotte Bronte



Comments