On the seemingly small things

Almost two weeks of being back in the States and I wish I could say my days have been overly productive as I've seized each moment--deeply lived out my return home-- but I haven't. Or perhaps it just doesn't feel like it in comparison to how I filled each day for the past two months gallivanting through Europe. 

Being home has been something close to breathing steadily again. Though, in each still day spent job searching or preparing for the next journey abroad my wanderlust heart screams, I am reminded not to despise the day of seemingly small things (seemingly, because how is anything done in life "small" when each doing--or lack thereof--adds to a sum total). I mustn't waste a present moment pinning for my already lived past. Comparison is most certainly a thief of joy.

Joy is objective: a vertical experience as we remain connected to its source. I believe Mr. Lewis said it beautifully, but I'd like to add my little edit: "God cannot give us a happiness[joy] and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing." Oh how quickly this fickle heart forgets said truth! Oh how it selectively recalls!

A weekend visit from friends that resulted in an impromptu start at a UNCC Muslim Student Association event, where we three Appalachian alumni had the chance to relive university for an evening, watching beautiful Palestinian traditional dance, listening to spoken word and eating delicious halal foods. What made it even more perfect was sitting next to one of my favorite people, Sumera, who beckoned me into this international world nearly four years ago. A world that has now become my own, my identity even. Meeting Sumera changed my life in so many ways. It was in the fall semester of my second year, she invited me and our friends to become APP Peers (buddies for international students) as the program was in its beginning stages. So many international friendships birthed out of that 2011 fall semester, it was the semester of our lives. 
"What is your Islam?" The theme of the MSA event and the main performer was Omar Offendum, a Saudi Arabia born, Syrian-American hip-hop artist. His album SyrianamericanA is a "Hip-Hop-Nation-State-of-Mind where everything is connected and everyone is welcome." Omar uses poetry and rap as a tool for justice; he aims to bring social awareness through his art. In other words, he's just awesome.
*Sumera, Sharon, Omar, myself and Rahma (Sumera's sister)*




Charmaine baked this fabulous layered brownie, peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough, chocolate ganache, and chocolate chips cake. Literally, death by chocolate. 
I had my best friends by my side this weekend. We're scattered around metropolitan North Carolina, in either Charlotte, Greensboro, High Point or Winston Salem--this weekend we gathered in Charlotte. As the night progressed, our number increased and the magic remained. It's always present when we gather, when any of us are together. Old friends know you best, they love you well. Old friends are good for the heart. My friends, they are my joy.

“The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.” ― Epictetus









Comments

Popular Posts