On the beautiful, the useful-

I love beautiful things and ideas, I'm really not interested in anything useful.

I first read those words on the profile of a couchsurfer I stayed with in Colorado Springs. Beautiful and useful; there's something about that pair of words in the same sentence. To this day, it lingers in my spirit. I was then, and still am affected by it.

What is useful anyway? How much of life is spent on the beautiful, the sacred? So much is preparation for tomorrow. I fear we lose far too many now's on our seemingly eternal *quest to conquer entropy. It is on said quest we miss the point: everything around us, all of the now's, the mundane, the rudimentary, all of it is painted as some myopic picture to serve as a lesson on the abstract. That is what life is after all, abstract. Simple, yet often too difficult to interpret. We even ask ourselves: what is the point? Seems almost nonsensical...

Then there are days you awake to spend Sunday with four people you met on the >literal< opposite end of the planet; in a little mountain town some 1.5 years ago. You see them amidst a crowded cherry blossom festival in South Korea as they walk in your direction.

Time stands still for that one perfect moment and suddenly two words are written in the wind, on the flower petals floating in the air around you: beautiful...useful.

And you have this idea: I could spend the rest of my tomorrow's living in this one now. Because this is so violently beautiful and I could care less if, in the grand scheme of things, a reunion among five once-upon-a-time-strangers will ever make History.

But this--this now is beautiful. And that is really the only thing I'm interested in.














 Perhaps I'm on the verge of conquering entropy.









*I read this phrase on the aforementioned couchsurfing profile; 
he has such a great mind, that host of ours. 



Comments

  1. All you need is six items of clothing, and maybe a credit card :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

thank you for your words...xoxo