On falling in love-

My days are long here in Korea. Time runs fast, yet it goes so so slow... I awake each morning with the same thought: how in the world am I going to get through this day? But, I do. Each and every time, by God's grace. When I tell people I'm really not a 'children person'--you know, like some people aren't a 'people person'--they usually don't believe me. I'm good with kids, but they exhaust me. They take every breath out of me and disciplining them is definitely on the list of things I hate most. Then there's that whole cuteness thing--I get it now; I never imagined those words would come from me. I am beginning to understand how these precious faces can make you come back for more. Those tiny eyes that are so pure and look at you with longing, it's as if they're begging you to just love them. The little bity arms that are constantly reaching in my direction and the random bursts of "teacher, I love you!" Oh how these precious babies can make even the least 'children person' a children's person.

And so I must confess: I, Keiko Roy-Carey, am falling so quickly and so very unapologetically in love with these little hearts that I get to call 'mine' for the next year... Who would have guessed?

There's something about the unknown that comforts me. Ever since I could remember, the excitement of what-could-happen kept me from boredom. Oh how I hated being bored, so much that I would tell myself only those who lack imagination get bored. I spent more time outdoors because of the freedom, the expanse and unpredictability of nature called me to dream. To create.

This past weekend I returned to those roots--to my 6-year-old self--with new and not-so-new friends. We hiked Bugaksan Mountain, a fortress wall constructed in 1396 and remnant of Seoul's ancient past. Hundreds of stairs later, I stood at a peak overlooking my new city; it was there my love of history collided with my love of the great outdoors...And Oh what a beautiful collision it was.










Castle Praha in Hongdae

After working 9 1/2 hours everyday Monday-Friday, it's only natural my weekends begin to run together. Not too long ago I reconnected with a piece of the "little family" I made during that missed connection in Tokyo. I loved showing Bree around my part of Seoul and catching up since those two magical days spent in Japan. We spoke of how quickly time has and is passing, and how much those two days meant to us. What a most magical prelude to the current chapter. A missed connection brought me three amazing souls, and a $400 refund from luggage that was overweight. There are no coincidences.

As Bree and I ate my favorite Korean dessert, we added to the messages that hung above us. Mine read: In 3 days I  turn 23. Who knew I'd be in Korea? Life is crazy...

Three days later I turned 23; it was my first birthday abroad. I've been in Korea for one month and on my 23rd birthday I was loved immensely by people I've known for less, days even. People who lack the words in which I could understand them...

The further I take myself out of my comfort zone, the more I discover what one finds comfortable is often an illusion. The unfamiliar rarely disappoints, because it is here I lack expectation.


“I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.” – Lillian Smith


Comments

Popular Posts